Re: [Regression] Commit "nvme/pci: Use host managed power state for suspend" has problems

From: Keith Busch
Date: Thu Jul 25 2019 - 14:07:29 EST

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 02:51:41AM -0700, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> Unfortunately,
>
> commit d916b1be94b6dc8d293abed2451f3062f6af7551
> Author: Keith Busch <keith.busch@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thu May 23 09:27:35 2019 -0600
>
> nvme-pci: use host managed power state for suspend
>
> doesn't universally improve things. In fact, in some cases it makes things worse.
>
> For example, on the Dell XPS13 9380 I have here it prevents the processor package
> from reaching idle states deeper than PC2 in suspend-to-idle (which, of course, also
> prevents the SoC from reaching any kind of S0ix).
>
> That can be readily explained too. Namely, with the commit above the NVMe device
> stays in D0 over suspend/resume, so the root port it is connected to also has to stay in
> D0 and that "blocks" package C-states deeper than PC2.
>
> In order for the root port to be able to go to D3, the device connected to it also needs
> to go into D3, so it looks like (at least on this particular machine, but maybe in
> general), both D3 and the NVMe-specific PM are needed.
>
> I'm not sure what to do here, because evidently there are systems where that commit
> helps. I was thinking about adding a module option allowing the user to override the
> default behavior which in turn should be compatible with 5.2 and earlier kernels.

Darn, that's too bad. I don't think we can improve one thing at the
expense of another, so unless we find an acceptable criteria to select
what low power mode to use, I would be inclined to support a revert or
a kernel option to default to the previous behavior.

One thing we might check before using NVMe power states is if the lowest
PS is non-operational with MP below some threshold. What does your device
report for:

nvme id-ctrl /dev/nvme0

?