Re: [HELP REQUESTED from the community] Was: Staging status of speakup

From: Chris Brannon
Date: Thu Jul 25 2019 - 11:01:28 EST

Gregory Nowak <greg@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> keymap
> I believe this is the currently active kernel keymap. I'm not sure of
> the format, probably what dumpkeys(1) and showkey(1) use. Echoing
> different values here should allow for remapping speakup's review
> commands besides remapping the keyboard as a whole.

AFAIK the Speakup keymap is just for remapping keys to Speakup
functions. It's a binary format, not related to dumpkeys etc. You need
a special program to compile a textual keymap into something that can be
loaded into /sys/accessibility/speakup/keymap. I may have source for
that lying around here somewhere. This is "here there be dragons"
territory. I think the only specification of the format is in the
source code.

-- Chris