Re: [Intel-gfx] screen freeze with 5.2-rc6 Dell XPS-13 skylake i915

From: James Bottomley
Date: Thu Jul 11 2019 - 16:28:05 EST

On Thu, 2019-07-11 at 20:25 +0000, Souza, Jose wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-07-11 at 13:11 -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> > On Thu, 2019-07-11 at 10:29 +0100, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > > Quoting James Bottomley (2019-06-29 19:56:52)

> > > It's likely this is panel self-refresh going haywire.
> > >
> > > commit 8f6e87d6d561f10cfa48a687345512419839b6d8
> > > Author: Josà Roberto de Souza <jose.souza@xxxxxxxxx>
> > > Date: Thu Mar 7 16:00:50 2019 -0800
> > >
> > > drm/i915: Enable PSR2 by default
> > >
> > > The support for PSR2 was polished, IGT tests for PSR2 was
> > > added and
> > > it was tested performing regular user workloads like
> > > browsing,
> > > editing documents and compiling Linux, so it is time to
> > > enable it by
> > > default and enjoy even more power-savings.
> > >
> > > Temporary workaround would be to set i915.enable_psr=0
> >
> > It looks plausible. I have to say I was just about to mark a
> > bisect containing this as good, but that probably reflects my
> > difficulty
> > reproducing the issue.
>
> Take at look of what PSR version is supported by your panel, it
> likely that a notebook shipped with Skylake will have panel that
> supports only PSR1 so that patch has no effect on your machine.
>
> sudo more /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_edp_psr_status
> Sink support: yes [0x01]

It says

Sink support: yes [0x01]
PSR mode: PSR1 enabled
Source PSR ctl: enabled [0x81f00726]
Source PSR status: IDLE [0x04010212]
Busy frontbuffer bits: 0x00000000

I've also updated to the released 5.2 kernel and am running with the
debug parameters you requested ... but so far no reproduction.

James