Re: screen freeze with 5.2-rc6 Dell XPS-13 skylake i915

From: James Bottomley
Date: Wed Jul 10 2019 - 12:32:23 EST

On Wed, 2019-07-10 at 18:16 +0200, Paul Bolle wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> James Bottomley schreef op wo 10-07-2019 om 08:01 [-0700]:
> > I've confirmed that 5.1 doesn't have the regression and I'm now
> > trying to bisect the 5.2 merge window, but since the problem takes
> > quite a while to manifest this will take some time. Any hints
> > about specific patches that might be the problem would be welcome.
>
> (Perhaps my message of yesterday never reached you.)

No, sorry, if the list is followup to list, I'm not subscribed. I see
it now I look in the archives, though.

---
> Upgrading to 5.2 (from 5.1.y) on a "Dell XPS 13 9350" (is that a
> skylake too?)

I believe so. My laptop is a 9350. I believe they're the earliest
skylake produced.

> showed similar symptoms. There's no pattern to the freezes that I
> can see. They're rather frequent too (think every few minutes). Eg,
> two freezes while composing this message!

You seem to be getting it to happen much more often than I can. Last
night, on the below pull request it took me a good hour to see the
freeze.

---
> It seems I hit this problem quite easily. Bisecting v5.1..v5.2 could
> be a real chore, so perhaps we could coordinate efforts (off-list)?

Sure, my current testing indicates it's somewhere inside this pull
request:

Merge: 89c3b37af87e eb85d03e01c3
Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed May 8 21:35:19 2019 -0700

Merge tag 'drm-next-2019-05-09' of git://anongit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm

Pull drm updates from Dave Airlie:

So I was about to test out the i915 changes in that but since my laptop
is what I use for daily work, it's a bit hard (can't freeze up on video
calls for instance).

James