Question about ARM FASTFPE

From: Masahiro Yamada
Date: Wed Jul 10 2019 - 00:32:16 EST

Hi.

I have a question about the following code
in arch/arm/Makefile:

# Do we have FASTFPE?
FASTFPE :=arch/arm/fastfpe
ifeq ($(FASTFPE),$(wildcard $(FASTFPE)))
FASTFPE_OBJ :=$(FASTFPE)/
endif

Since arch/arm/fastfpe does not exist in the upstream tree,
I guess this is a hook to compile downstream source code.

If a user puts arch/arm/fastfpe/ into their local source tree,
Kbuild is supposed to compile the files in it.

Is this correct?

If so, I am afraid this would not work for O= building.

$(wildcard ...) checks if this directory exists in the *objtree*,
while scripts/Makefile.build needs to include
arch/arm/fastfpe/Makefile from *srctree*.

I think the correct code should be like follows:

# Do we have FASTFPE?
FASTFPE :=arch/arm/fastfpe
ifneq ($(wildcard $(srctree)/$(FASTFPE)),)
FASTFPE_OBJ :=$(FASTFPE)/
endif

Having said that, I am not sure this code is worth fixing.

This code was added around v2.5.1.9,
and the actual source code for arch/arm/fastfpe/
was never upstreamed.

In general, we do not care much about the downstream code support.

What should we do about this?
Fix and keep maintaining? Delete?

--
Best Regards