Re: [GIT PULL 5/9] intel_th: msu: Introduce buffer driver interface

From: Alexander Shishkin
Date: Wed Jul 03 2019 - 12:34:04 EST

Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> + /*
>> + * ->assign() called when buffer 'mode' is set to this driver
>> + * (aka mode_store())
>> + * @device: struct device * of the msc
>> + * @mode: allows the driver to set HW mode (see the enum above)
>> + * Returns: a pointer to a private structure associated with this
>> + * msc or NULL in case of error. This private structure
>> + * will then be passed into all other callbacks.
>> + */
>> + void *(*assign)(struct device *dev, int *mode);
>> + /* ->unassign(): some other mode is selected, clean up */
>> + void (*unassign)(void *priv);
>> + /*
>> + * ->alloc_window(): allocate memory for the window of a given
>> + * size
>> + * @sgt: pointer to sg_table, can be overridden by the buffer
>> + * driver, or kept intact
>> + * Returns: number of sg table entries <= number of pages;
>> + * 0 is treated as an allocation failure.
>> + */
>> + int (*alloc_window)(void *priv, struct sg_table **sgt,
>> + size_t size);
>> + void (*free_window)(void *priv, struct sg_table *sgt);
>> + /* ->activate(): trace has started */
>> + void (*activate)(void *priv);
>> + /* ->deactivate(): trace is about to stop */
>> + void (*deactivate)(void *priv);
>> + /*
>> + * ->ready(): window @sgt is filled up to the last block OR
>> + * tracing is stopped by the user; this window contains
>> + * @bytes data. The window in question transitions into
>> + * the "LOCKED" state, indicating that it can't be used
>> + * by hardware. To clear this state and make the window
>> + * available to the hardware again, call
>> + * intel_th_msc_window_unlock().
>> + */
>> + int (*ready)(void *priv, struct sg_table *sgt, size_t bytes);
>> +};
>
> Why isn't this based off of 'struct driver'?

It's not a real driver, in a sense that there's no underlying
device. None of the usual driver stuff applies. It's still a set of
callbacks, though. Should this be an elaborate comment, should I replace
the word "driver" with something else?

I'd really like to avoid shoehorning the whole 'struct device' + 'struct
driver' here.

Thanks,
--
Alex