Re: Userspace woes with 5.1.5 due to TIPC

From: Mihai Moldovan
Date: Thu May 30 2019 - 16:51:02 EST

* On 5/30/19 9:51 PM, Jon Maloy wrote:
> Make sure the following three commits are present in TIPC *after* the offending commit:
>
> commit 532b0f7ece4c "tipc: fix modprobe tipc failed after switch order of device registration"

This *is* the offending commit, as far as I understand. Merely rebased in
linux-stable, and hence having a different SHA, but mentioning the original SHA
(i.e., 532b0f7ece4c) in its commit message.

> Since that patch one was flawed it had to be reverted:
> commit 5593530e5694 ""Revert tipc: fix modprobe tipc failed after switch order of device registration"
>
> It was then replaced with this one:
> commit 526f5b851a96 "tipc: fix modprobe tipc failed after switch order of device registration"

Okay, these two are not part of 5.1.5. I've backported them (and only these two)
to 5.1.5 and the issue(s) seem to be gone. Definitely something that should be
backported to/included in 5.1.6.

Thanks for pointing all that out! Unfortunately I didn't add anything useful but
noise, since you obviously already knew, that this commit was broken. I'd urge
Greg to release a new stable version including the fixes soon, if possible,
though, for not being able to start/use userspace browsers sounds like a pretty
bad regression to me.

Mihai