Re: [RFC 7/7] mm: madvise support MADV_ANONYMOUS_FILTER and MADV_FILE_FILTER

From: Minchan Kim
Date: Wed May 29 2019 - 21:03:50 EST

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 12:36:04PM +0800, Hillf Danton wrote:

> On Mon, 20 May 2019 12:52:54 +0900 Minchan Kim wrote:
> >
> > With that, user could call a process_madvise syscall simply with a entire
> > range(0x0 - 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF) but either of MADV_ANONYMOUS_FILTER and
> > MADV_FILE_FILTER so there is no need to call the syscall range by range.
> >
> Cool.
>
> Look forward to seeing the non-RFC delivery.

I will drop this filter patch if userspace can parse address range fast.
Daniel suggested a new interface which could get necessary information
from the process with binary format so will it will remove endoce/decode
overhead as well as overhead we don't need to get like directory look
up.

Yes, with this filter option, it's best performance for a specific
usecase but sometime we need to give up *best* thing for *general*
stuff. I belive it's one of the category. ;-)