Re: need company for kernel upgrade

From: walter harms
Date: Wed May 29 2019 - 04:08:28 EST

Am 28.05.2019 21:35, schrieb Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult:
> On 28.05.19 12:58, Pavel Machek wrote:
>
> Hi,

> basic rule: don't use vendor kernels for production, unless you
> *really* *really* have to.

we have custom hardware, so this was needed. But we used std. parts
with existing drivers, so the upcomming problems were hidden in details.
Of cause we tested the hardware but you can find only obvious problems.

> HW vendors usually don't have the capacities to offer any decent
> kernel support. there're only few exceptions (eg. phytec) that have
> their own kernel hackers and actively participate in upstreaming.

We have noticed that also, *active* is a big point.

>>> Have you tried contacting Linutronix (https://linutronix.de) or
>>> Collabora (https://collabora.com)?
>>>
>>> Both have EU offices --- well Collabora does for now, until Brexit
>>> happens. :-)
>>
>> www.denx.de is another option.
>
> continuing the list w/ my own company --> info@xxxxxxxxx
>
> by the way: should we create a separate list for commercial topics ?

I used linux-arm and it worked surprisingly well (not all mails went truh the list)
but it look very silent and i was unsure if they were still alive. A big win
for everyone would be a FAQ/Lessons-learned something you can take to check a contract.
the customer will know what to expect and the contractor will know what to offer.

Having something a list of minimum requirements like that FAQ would improve the stand of
the hardware developed to support linux. Not everyone has a big budget or need to
produce in millions like the raspi guys did, and even they have sometimes troubles.

note: that will not solve every proble but even a starting point would be good.

re,
wh