Re: [GIT PULL] KVM changes for Linux 5.2-rc2

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun May 26 2019 - 16:52:49 EST

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 10:53 AM Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The interesting thing is that not only git will treat lightweight tags
> like, well, tags:

Yeah, that's very much by design - lightweight tags are very
comvenient for local temporary stuff where you don't want signing etc
(think automated test infrastructure, or just local reminders).

> In addition, because I _locally_ had a tag object that
> pointed to the same commit and had the same name, git-request-pull
> included my local tag's message in its output! I wonder if this could
> be considered a bug.

Yeah, I think git request-pull should at least *warn* about the tag
not being the same object locally as in the remote you're asking me to
pull.

Are you sure you didn't get a warning, and just missed it? But adding
Junio and the Git list just as a possible heads-up for this in case
git request-pull really only compares the object the tag points to,
rather than the SHA1 of the tag itself.

Linus