Re: GFS2: Pull Request

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed May 08 2019 - 17:07:01 EST

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 1:58 PM Jonathan Corbet <corbet@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think this certainly belongs in the maintainer manual, but probably not
> in pull-requests.rst. There are a lot of things about repository
> management that seem to trip up even experienced maintainers; pre-pull
> merges is just one of those. I would love to see a proper guide on when
> and how to do merges in general.

We had another pull request issue today, about a situation that I
definitely know you've written about in the past, because I linked to
lwn in my email:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAHk-=wiKoePP_9CM0fn_Vv1bYom7iB5N=ULaLLz7yOST3K+k5g@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

and while I suspect people don't actually read documentation
(_particularly_ maintainers that have already been around for a long
time but still do this), maybe that part could be in the same
documentation?

Linus