Re: [BUG] Rockchip SPI: long burst writes produce unexpected result

From: Emil Renner Berthing
Date: Sun Apr 07 2019 - 15:55:24 EST

Hi Vicente,

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 at 19:35, Vicente Bergas <vicencb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> i have been experiencing issues writing to NOR-Flash SPI Memories
> from two RK3399-based platforms: gru-kevin and sapphire board.
> For kevin, this resulted in a bricked device because that memory
> is the only boot device.
> Fortunately an external programmer is available.
>
> In order to isolate where the issue can be, several tests have been
> done, after which it makes me think the issue is related to the
> Rockchip SPI driver.
>
> 4KB burst reads work fine.
> The issue is only observed on the write burst length.
>
> Test user user/kernel kernel RK3399
> Num space interface space SoC Status Notes
> 1 flashrom linux_mtd MTD/RKspi RKspi Fail
> 2 flashrom linux_spi RKspi RKspi Fail
> 3 flashrom linux_spi spi_gpio GPIO OK
> 4 custom linux_spi spi_gpio GPIO OK 260-byte burst writes
> 5 custom linux_spi RKspi RKspi Fail 260-byte burst writes
> 6 custom linux_spi RKspi RKspi OK 1-byte burst writes
> 7 custom linux_spi RKspi RKspi OK 47-byte burst writes
> 8 custom linux_spi RKspi RKspi Fail 48-byte burst writes
>
> 3, 4) Unaccetably slow, device tree is
> spi_gpio {
> compatible = "spi-gpio";
> #address-cells = <1>;
> #size-cells = <0>;
> cs-gpios = <&gpio1 RK_PB2 GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>;
> sck-gpios = <&gpio1 RK_PB1 GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>;
> mosi-gpios = <&gpio1 RK_PB0 GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>;
> miso-gpios = <&gpio1 RK_PA7 GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>;
> num-chipselects = <1>;
> spidev@0 {
> compatible = "spidev";
> reg = <0>;
> spi-max-frequency = <50000000>;
> };
> };
> 2, 5, 6, 7, 8) device tree is
> &spi1 {

Since you say reverting the "set min/max speed" patch fixes your issues
could you try raising the spi clock like this and see if it works for you?

+ assigned-clocks = <&cru SCLK_SPI1>;
+ assigned-clock-rates = <400000000>;

Of course the driver shouldn't let you configure the spi-controller in a way
that makes it skip bytes, but if this works for you then I still think
you're better off explicitly setting the spi clock speed rather than having
the driver raise it for you. At least while it does it without
checking for errors
or having a way to lower it again as outlined in the commit message.

> status = "okay";
> spidev@0 {
> compatible = "spidev";
> reg = <0>;