Query on how WWAN and Modem interact

From: Ajay Garg
Date: Fri Mar 29 2019 - 00:36:00 EST

Hi All.

I am sorry upfront if this might seem like a stupid question.
I am wanting to have some insight on how a modem plugs into the
linux-kernel at architecture level.

First a bit of history.
I have prior experience of using an onboard-modem on a ubuntu, via
support from modem-manager. There, after the modem was (successfully)
set up via "mmcli", the "wwan" interface started showing in
"ifconfig", which then presented itself to be used just like any other
wifi/ethernet listings in "ifconfig".

Now, we are in a bit of situation, where only the AT-interface (of the
modem) might be available to us (via a serial /dev/tty interface).
Also, using AT-commands to actually set up sockets is also fine.

Now, my query is once the AT-commands succesfully set up a socket, how
does that link to "wwan" interface in "ifconfig" listings.

Will be grateful to have the experts throw some light on this.

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay