Re: CONFIG_DEBUG_VIRTUAL breaks boot on x86-32

From: Ralph Campbell
Date: Tue Mar 26 2019 - 16:11:35 EST

On 3/26/19 6:52 AM, William Kucharski wrote:
Does this still happen on 5.1-rc2?

Do you have idea as to what max_low_pfn() gets set to on your system at boot time?

From the screen shot I'm guessing it MIGHT be 0x373fe, but it's hard to know for sure.

On Mar 21, 2019, at 2:22 PM, Meelis Roos <mroos@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I tried to debug another problem and turned on most debug options for memory.
The resulting kernel failed to boot.

Bisecting the configurations led to CONFIG_DEBUG_VIRTUAL - if I turned it on
in addition to some other debug options, the machine crashed with

kernel BUG at arch/x86/mm/physaddr.c:79!

Screenshot at http://kodu.ut.ee/~mroos/debug_virtual-boot-hang-1.jpg

The machine was Athlon XP with VIA KT600 chipset and 2G RAM.

--
Meelis Roos <mroos@xxxxxxxx>

You might be hitting a bug I found.
Try applying this patch: