Re: kernel BUG at net/core/net-sysfs.c:LINE!

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Mon Mar 25 2019 - 15:18:38 EST

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 11:55:54AM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 06:10:31PM +0200, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 11:20:01PM +0800, wanghai (M) wrote:
> > > thanks , Can it be fixed like this?
> >
> > I dunno. I think no, it can't.
>
> I agree, it can't.
>

> > As far as I can see the issue happened due to freeing entire network device at
> > the point of putting reference count to the device (struct device is embedded
> > into struct net_device).
> >
> > When it happens the access to _any_ field of struct net_device will crash the
> > system.
> >
> > Basically it means that put_device() should be carefully placed case-by-case,
> > because on real hardware the actual device is parent and usually no-one does
> > access to the child without need. On the contrary the tunX devices are
> > artificial and are controlled by the network stack.
> >
> > So, it means we need to do something like
> >
> > ret = register_netdev(...);
> > if (ret) {
> > put_device(&ndev->dev);
> > }
> >
> > But as I mentioned, it would be tricky to not break something else.
>
> I'd say that the entity that called alloc_netdev() should be the one
> that calls put_device() (but the way of free_netdev()), not net/core
> code. Do we have a driver that is messed up and does not do proper
> cleanup?

OK, looking at this some more, I think we need to set dev->reg_state =
NETREG_REGISTERED earlier, right after successful call to device_add()
as at this point the device is alive as far as device core is concerned.
The queue kobjects have to be managed separately, for that I'd pull the
code out of netdev_register_kobject() and move it into
register_netdevice() and ensure that we clean up there properly.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry