Re: [RFC] Provide in-kernel headers for making it easy to extend the kernel

From: Daniel Colascione
Date: Wed Mar 06 2019 - 19:37:01 EST

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 4:33 PM H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/6/19 3:37 PM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
> >
> > I just don't get the opposition to Joel's work. The rest of the thread
> > already goes into detail about the problems with pure-filesystem
> > solutions, and you and others are just totally ignoring those
> > well-thought-out rationales for the module approach and doing
> > inflooping on "lol just use a tarball". That's not productive.
> >

> You might think they are well thought out, but at least from what I can
> tell they seem completely spurious.

That sentence is a general-purpose objection to literally anything.
Anything so general is useless. If you want to claim that the
rationale behind the work is inadequate, you have to explain why the
use cases that it enables are either illegitimate or amenable to other
solutions, not just call them spurious.