Re: Realtek r8822be kernel module does not negotiate 802.11ac connection

From: Larry Finger
Date: Sat Mar 02 2019 - 12:59:18 EST

On 3/1/19 9:52 PM, David R. Bergstein wrote:
Larry,

Sorry about all these extra replies. Shortly after I sent my last
message my access point started recognizing the connection as 802.11ac
with PHY Rate / Modulation Rate of 866.6 Mbps. What is somewhat
misleading is the information reported by iwconfig (see bit rate below).

$ iwconfig wlo1
wlo1ÂÂÂÂÂ IEEE 802.11Â ESSID:"XXXXXXXXXX-5G"
 Mode:Managed Frequency:5.22 GHz Access Point:
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Bit Rate=6.5 Mb/sÂÂ Tx-Power=23 dBm
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Retry short limit:7ÂÂ RTS thr:offÂÂ Fragment thr:off
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Power Management:on
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Link Quality=70/70Â Signal level=-40 dBm
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Rx invalid nwid:0Â Rx invalid crypt:0Â Rx invalid frag:0
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ Tx excessive retries:0Â Invalid misc:11ÂÂ Missed beacon:0

The utility iwconfig is obsolete and not exactly up to date with the latest in wireless. I am not an expert on iw, but I think you want 'iw dev wlo1 link'.

I am wondering about the missing firmware stage. Had you not done the 'sudo make install' step, or did that step fail to install the firmware?

Larry