Re: [RFC] Provide in-kernel headers for making it easy to extend the kernel

From: hpa
Date: Fri Jan 25 2019 - 14:02:14 EST

On January 24, 2019 12:59:29 PM PST, Joel Fernandes <joel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 07:57:26PM +0100, Karim Yaghmour wrote:
>>
>> On 1/23/19 11:37 PM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
>[..]
>private:
>the
>whatever
>> >
>> > I was thinking along similar lines. Ordinarily, we make loadable
>> > kernel modules. What we kind of want here is a non-loadable kernel
>> > module --- or a non-loadable section in the kernel image proper.
>I'm
>> > not familiar with early-stage kernel loader operation: I know it's
>> > possible to crease discardable sections in the kernel image, but
>can
>> > we create sections that are never slurped into memory in the first
>> > place? If not, maybe loading and immediately discarding the header
>> > section is good enough.
>>
>> Interesting. Maybe just append it to the image but have it not loaded
>and
>> have a kernel parameter than enables a "/proc/kheaders" driver to
>know where
>> the fetch the appended headers from storage at runtime. There would
>be no
>> RAM loading whatsoever of the headers, just some sort of
>> "kheaders=/dev/foobar:offset:size" parameter. If you turn the option
>on, you
>> get a fatter kernel image size to store on permanent storage, but no
>impact
>> on what's loaded at boot time.
>
>Embedding anything into the kernel image does impact boot time though
>because
>it increase the time spent by bootloader. A module OTOH would not have
>such
>overhead.
>
>Also a kernel can be booted in any number of ways other than mass
>storage so
>it is not a generic Linux-wide solution to have a kheaders= option like
>that.
>If the option is forgotten, then the running system can't use the
>feature.
>The other issue is it requires a kernel command line option /
>bootloader
>changes for that which adds more configuration burden, which not be
>needed
>with a module.
>
>> > Would such a thing really do better than LZMA? LZMA already has
>very
>> > clever techniques for eliminating long-range redundancies in
>> > compressible text, including redundancies at the sub-byte level. I
>can
>> > certainly understand the benefit of stripping comments, since
>removing
>> > comments really does decrease the total amount of information the
>> > compressor has to preserve, but I'm not sure how much the encoding
>> > scheme you propose below would help, since it reminds me of the
>> > encoding scheme that LZMA would discover automatically.

> [...]

So let me throw in a different notion.

A kernel module really is nothing other than a kernel build system artifact stored in the filesystem.

I really don't at any reason whatsoever why this is direct from just producing an archive and putting it in the module directory, except that the latter is far simpler.

I see literally *no* problem, social or technical, you are solvin by actually making it a kernel ELF object.