Re: [RFC] Provide in-kernel headers for making it easy to extend the kernel

From: Joel Fernandes
Date: Wed Jan 23 2019 - 21:32:22 EST

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 02:37:47PM -0800, Daniel Colascione wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 1:29 PM Karim Yaghmour
> <karim.yaghmour@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> > Personally I advocated a more aggressive approach with Joel in private:
> > just put the darn headers straight into the kernel image, it's the
> > *only* artifact we're sure will follow the Android device whatever
> > happens to it (like built-in ftrace).
>
> I was thinking along similar lines. Ordinarily, we make loadable
> kernel modules. What we kind of want here is a non-loadable kernel
> module --- or a non-loadable section in the kernel image proper. I'm
> not familiar with early-stage kernel loader operation: I know it's
> possible to crease discardable sections in the kernel image, but can
> we create sections that are never slurped into memory in the first
> place? If not, maybe loading and immediately discarding the header
> section is good enough.

I am happy to see if I can shrink it down further. Especially using xz and
stripping all comments period. I am optimistic this can be brought down
further to a point where it would make sense to everyone to build it into the
kernel. Lets see.

Last time I stripped comments, it went down by ~40%. What I haven't tried is
doing this *with* xz compression. I am also open to brainstorming what else
can be stripped.

OTOH the reason I didn't focus much on size is: modules are pretty much
universal and I'm confident of wide spread use of this feature for Android-based
products and not needing of "chasing headers" if we modularize it, since
Android's project treble has modularized things and modules are now default
enabled. Putting headers into a module lets us enjoy the ride there.

I am quite hosed for the next week or so to work on this, but I should be
able to get back to it after.

cheers,

- Joel