Various links (GPL revocation etc)

From: linuxgpletc
Date: Wed Jan 23 2019 - 07:14:16 EST

Main:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/1/17/52 (GPL Rescission announcement)
https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/10/26/420 (Debunking of SFConservancy's statement)

Anti-Rescind:
ZDNet "Debunking" lulz.com article (by quoting PJ the paralegal, who got it wrong): https://www.zdnet.com/article/what-happens-if-you-try-to-take-your-code-out-of-linux/
This is constantly cited by "no recind"ers.
SFConservancy's "Debunking" of lulz.com article: http://sfconservancy.org/news/2018/sep/26/GPLv2-irrevocability/
(The new section: https://copyleft.org/guide/comprehensive-gpl-guidech8.html#x11-540007.4 )
---
Pro-Rescind:
Refutation of SFConservancy's "debunking" of lulz.com article: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/10/26/420
(Published 5 hours after the "debunking")

Public announcement of GPL Recission of GPC-Slots 2 game vs "Geek Feminists": https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/1/17/52
(This was also posted elsewhere, so as to be visible to the recindees, and sent to the mail of the named individuals, where it could be determined)

Submission to slashdot (wasn't posted): https://slashdot.org/submission/9087542/author-recinds-gpl
---
Eben Moglen vows to write a paper about how the GPL is irrevokable:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/10/26/718
2 months later still no paper to be found: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/12/18/812
---
Other useful links:
8chan discussions with author, and expositions on the law:
http://8ch.net/tech/res/1013409.html
http://8ch.net/tech/res/1017824.html
http://8ch.net/tech/res/1018729.html

4chan /g/ discussion, expositions on the law:
https://warosu.org/g/thread/S69460068
http://archive.fo/OhIR4
http://boards.4channel.org/g/thread/69460068
---

Here's one user who did as suggested and consulted with an attorney friend, the attorney friend refuted the "following the GPL is consideration" argument nicely:
https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/message/f00ab8e848f886695425406179cbe67d

Thank you for the response, though I feel you don't address my
question. Happily though, I spoke with an acquaintance and it was
determined that the subservience to the license (i.e. agreeing to be
bound by the GPL2) could not be offered as consideration as its
restrictions were not the licensee's to offer at the time of
acceptance of the license. The licensee had no rights to offer as part
of the contract, as the contract had not yet given them any rights to
give up. The terms put forth by the GPL2 are only restrictions that
are part of the license.

Furthermore, as stated above, it should seem quite self referential -
I can't offer my acceptance of a license as consideration, because it
is what I am trying to accept.

As I am sure you are aware, under US law there is no contract if both
sides have not provided consideration. This leaves us in the strange
place of gratis licenses being suggestions.

Cheers,
R0b0t1

---
Various other threads: