Re: [patch 8/9] tools: bpftool: Cleanup license mess

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Thu Jan 17 2019 - 19:01:16 EST

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019, Jakub Kicinski wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 00:14:24 +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > Precise and non-ambiguous license information is important. The recent
> > relicensing of the bpftools introduced a license conflict.
> >
> > The files have now:
> >
> > SPDX-License-Identifier: (GPL-2.0-only OR BSD-2-Clause
> >
> > and
> >
> > * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
> > * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
> > * as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version
> > * 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version
> >
> > Amazingly about 20 people acked that change and neither they nor the
> > committer noticed. Oh well.
>
> Acked-by: Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Sorry about that!
>
> These files as you found out are from Stephen, so we probably don't
> need the full litany of acks.

I agree. I cc'ed everyone just to make them aware that licensing is not
just an annoyance. It's a important part of the project and it has legal
implications - in the worst case on the personal level. We already have an
unholy mess in that area, so we really need everybody to take it serious.

Thanks,

tglx