Re: [GIT PULL 2/4] Kbuild updates for v4.21 part2

From: Changbin Du
Date: Mon Jan 07 2019 - 19:43:07 EST

On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 01:32:56PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> (+CC Changbin Du, Arnd Bergmann)

[...]
> > This branch already added a couple of extra inline markers just to
> > make code work reasonably. How many tens (or hundreds) got missed just
> > because the build still works, but the lack of inlining means that we
> > generate completely garbage code?
>

> I do not have the exact number, but
> my impression was "not so many".
>
> Changbin and Arnd might have better insight.
> They were trying to eliminate potential problems beforehand.
>
> For example,
> 7e17916b
> 412dd15c
> 08813e0e

Yes, the case is not so many. At the beginning, I also thought this could
require incredible change. But after trying, just found it is not so bad. I have
a couple of patches to fix the remaing warnings which adds 'inline' or '_init'
markers for related functions.

I promise that all warnings get fixed with new version. And since I only have
coressponding setup to fully test x86 and ARM platform, I think we could make
this new option depend on x86 or arm temparaly so untested platforms will
not complain anymore.

Linus, is this good for you? Thank you for revewing.

--
Cheers,
Changbin Du