Re: scsi_set_medium_removal timeout issue

From: Alan Stern
Date: Tue Oct 30 2018 - 10:08:17 EST

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018, Zengtao (B) wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have recently met a scsi_set_medium_removal timeout issue, and it's related
> to both SCSI and USB MASS storage.
> Since i am not an expert in either scsi or usb mass storage, i am writing to report
> the issue and ask for a solution from you guys.
>
> My test scenario is as follow:
> 1.Linux HOST-----Linux mass storage gadget(the back store is a flash partition).
> 2.Host mount the device.
> 3.Host writes some data to the Mass storage device.
> 4.Host Unmount the device.
> Both Linux kernels(Host and Device) are Linux 4.9.
> Some has reported the same issue a long time ago, but it remains there.
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg53739.html
>
> For the issue itself, there is my observation:
> In the step 4, the Host will issue an PREVENT_ALLOW_MEDIUM_REMOVAL scsi command.
> and and timeout happens due to the device 's very slow fsg_lun_fsync_sub.

Something is wrong here. Before sending PREVENT-ALLOW MEDIUM
REMOVAL, the host should issue SYNCHRONIZE CACHE. This will force
fsg_lun_fsync_sub to run, and the host should allow a long timeout for
this command. Then when PREVENT-ALLOW MEDIUM REMOVAL is sent, nothing
will need to be flushed.

Alan Stern