Re: The linux devs can rescind their license grant.

From: NeilBrown
Date: Thu Oct 25 2018 - 18:12:38 EST

On Thu, Oct 25 2018, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx>:
>> On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 03:39:01PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>> > Under Jacobsen vs. Katzer (535 f 3d 1373 fed cir 2008) authors of
>> > GPLed software have a specific right to relief (including injunctive
>> > relief) against misappropriation of their software. That ruling (which
>> > was the case of first impression on the binding status of the GPL)
>> > reputational damage is *specifically* recognized as grounds for relief.
>>
>> I've read the legal briefs, and I'm pretty sure they don't say what
>> you are claiming they say. Yes, I'm not a lawyer --- but that's OK
>> --- neither are you.
>
> How much are you willing to gamble on not being wrong?
>
>> The *vast* majority of the "anti-CoC dissidents" who have been
>> advancing this argument, have, as near as I can tell, little or no
>> copyright ownership in the kernel.
>
> I do not have any facts with which to dispute this specific claim.
> However, I do notice that a significant number of long-time
> contributors have put themselves in the anti-CoC camp. I note Al Viro
> as a recent example.

I think you are blurring two groups here.
Ted describes "anti-CoC dissidents" as people who are advancing an
argument about rescinding their license. This is a smaller groups than
the "ant-CoC camp" who don't really like the CoC. I suspect is it is a
much smaller group when restricting to actual copyright holders.

I am against the CoC as it stands, but rescinding any license is such an
enormous over-reaction, I find the concept laughable.

NeilBrown