Re: [Announce] LPC 2018: Testing and Fuzzing Microconference

From: Dmitry Vyukov
Date: Thu Oct 11 2018 - 04:54:44 EST

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 5:47 PM, Dhaval Giani <dhaval.giani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 11:23 AM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 19:02:51 +0200
>> Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Hi Dhaval and Sasha,
>> >
>> > My syzbot talk wasn't accepted to main track, so I would like to do
>> > more or less full-fledged talk on the microconf. Is it possible?
>>
>> Hi Dmitry,
>>
>> Note, microconfs are not for full-fledged talks. They are to be
>> discussion focused. You can have a 5-10 minute presentation that leads
>> up to discussion of future work, but we like to refrain from any talks
>> about what was done if there's nothing to go forward with.
>
> Dmitiry,
>
> Can you clarify the scope of what you want to discuss during the
> microconference? Further to what Steven said, we don't want
> presentations (So 3, maybe 4 slides). We want discussions about future
> work.
>
> Thanks!
> Dhaval

Hi Steven, Dhaval,

Acknowledged.

Then smaller topic that would benefit from discussion are:

the main one being:

1. syzbot: developer process; unfixed bugs; bug triage; what's
working? what's not? why? how can we make more parts work? collecting
feedback

2. how to increase test coverage/find more bugs, in particular:
- adding manual spot KASAN/KMSAN checks into kernel codebase
- stubbing hardware/external inputs to kernel for testing
- description of kernel interfaces (again)

3. dealing with kernel console output mess
- intermixed/split lines
- understand when/how kernel crashed
- and where is that message
- crash identity