Re: PROPOSAL: Extend inline asm syntax with size spec

From: Segher Boessenkool
Date: Wed Oct 10 2018 - 03:55:29 EST

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 09:12:48AM +0200, Richard Biener wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Oct 2018, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> > > Yes, I also like it for simplicity. It also avoids the requirement
> > > of translating the number (in bytes?) given by the user to
> > > "number of GIMPLE instructions" as needed by the inliner.
> >
> > This patch implements this, for C only so far. And the syntax is
> > "asm inline", which is more in line with other syntax.
> >
> > How does this look?
>
> Looks good. A few nits - you need to document this in extend.texi, the

Yup.

> tree flag use needs documenting in tree-core.h,

Ah yes.

> and we need a testcase
> (I'd suggest one that shows we inline a function with "large" asm inline
> () even at -Os).

I have one. Oh, and I probably should do a comment at the one line of
code that isn't just bookkeeping ;-)

> Oh, and I don't think we want C and C++ to diverge - so you need to
> cook up C++ support as well.

Right, that's why I said "C only so far".

> Can kernel folks give this a second and third thought please so we
> don't implement sth that in the end won't satisfy you guys?

Or actually try it out and see if it has the desired effect! Nothing
beats field trials.

I'll do the C++ thing today hopefully, and send things to gcc-patches@.

Segher