Linux RDMA mini-conf at Plumbers 2018

From: Jason Gunthorpe
Date: Thu Sep 20 2018 - 14:19:42 EST

This is just a friendly reminder that registration deadlines are
approaching for this conference. Please see

https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/event/2/page/7-attend

For details.

This year we expect to have close to a day set aside for RDMA related
topics. Including up to half a day for the thorny general kernel issues
related to get_user_pages(), particularly as exasperated by RDMA.

We have been working on the following concepts for sessions, I've
roughly marked names based on past participation in related email
threads. As we get closer to the conference date we will be organizing
leaders for each section based on these lists, please let us know of
any changes, or desire to be a leader!

RDMA and get_user_pages
=======================
Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
John Hubbard <jhubbard@xxxxxxxxxx>
Nicholas Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxxxx>
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>

RDMA, DAX and persistant memory co-existence.

Explore the limits of what is possible without using On
Demand Paging Memory Registration. Discuss 'shootdown'
of userspace MRs

Dirtying pages obtained with get_user_pages() can oops ext4
discuss open solutions.

RDMA and PCI peer to peer
=========================
Don Dutile <ddutile@xxxxxxxxxx>
Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxx>
Stephen Bates <sbates@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Logan Gunthorpe <logang@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
JÃrÃme Glisse <jglisse@xxxxxxxxxx>
Christian KÃnig <christian.koenig@xxxxxxx>
Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@xxxxxxxxxx>

RDMA and PCI peer to peer transactions. IOMMU issues. Integration
with HMM. How to expose PCI BAR memory to userspace and other
drivers as a DMA target.

Improving testing of RDMA with syzkaller, RXE and Python
Noa Osherovich <noaos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Don Dutile <ddutile@xxxxxxxxxx>
Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Problem solve RDMA's distinct lack of public tests.
Provide a better framework for all drivers to test with,
and a framework for basic testing in userspace.

Worst remaining unfixed syzkaller bugs and how to try to fix them

How to hook syzkaller more deeply into RDMA.

IOCTL conversion and new kABI topics
====================================
Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Alex Rosenbaum <alexr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Attempt to close on the remaining tasks to complete the project

Restore fork() support to userspace

Container and namespaces for RDMA topics
Parav Pandit <parav@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>

Remaining sticky situations with containers

namespaces in sysfs and legacy all-namespace operation

Remaining CM issues

Security isolation problems

Very large Contiguous regions in userspace
Christopher Lameter <cl@xxxxxxxxx>
Parav Pandit <parav@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Poor performance of get_user_pages on very large virtual ranges

No standardized API to allocate regions to user space

Carry over from last year

As we get closer to the conference date the exact schedule will be
published on the conference web site. I belive we have the Thursday
set aside right now.

If there are any last minute topics people would like to see please
let us know.

See you all in Vancouver!

Thanks,
Jason & Leon