Re: [RFC 3/3] RISC-V: Remove per cpu clocksource

From: Atish Patra
Date: Mon Sep 17 2018 - 14:32:37 EST

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 04:52:44PM +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
If this really does not need configuration and all actual implementations
are not "allowed" to screw the timer up, then this surely can do without
DT.

That would be the plan.

Just for the record, this would be the first (architected) timer ever which
just works. I'm having a hard time to believe this, but I'd certainly
welcome it.

And that would be the contact with reality. Note that the current
scheme which just matches for the riscv hart (aka cpu core) nodes
would not exactly help either.

I thought we will have a dedicated timer node (like all other arch) sooner or later and we will just change TIMER_OF to match that node instead of riscv hart.

In this way, we will not do something entirely different from any other architecture.

Regards,
Atish

-TIMER_OF_DECLARE(riscv_timer, "riscv", riscv_timer_init_dt);
+core_initcall(riscv_timer_init);

Are you sure that core_initcall is not too late?

No, I'm not at all. This is just intended as a quick throw-away draft.