Re: No video output on 4.19-rc1 on Dell XPS 13 9360

From: Lu Baolu
Date: Sat Sep 08 2018 - 22:02:34 EST

Hi,

The fix has been posted here.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/9/8/14

Best regards,
Lu Baolu

On 09/08/2018 09:57 PM, Dmitrii Tcvetkov wrote:
I've sent the email[1] before to iommu and lkml mailing lists only, but
according to iommu mailing list archive it wasn't received[2]. I'm
resending it to Lu Baolu and Joerg Roedel with proper kernel .config
file. Sorry if the duplication is unnecessary.

Since 4.19-rc1 my laptop boots with vertical static set of rows of dots
on the screen instead of proper video output. SSH'ing into it allowed
to get dmesg-without-pt.log output, PCI device 00:02.0 is VGA
compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 620 (rev 02)

Appending "iommu=pt" to kernel cmdline allowed to boot with functional
graphics, but gave dmesg-with-pt.log output.

Bisect between v4.18 and v4.19-rc1 tags led me to commit
a7fc93fed94b173e2 (iommu/vt-d: Allocate and free pasid table).

Reverting this commit allows to build kernel on current master
(a12ed06ba2d3fa60e), which boots with functional graphical output
without specifying "iommu=pt".
Dmesg output is in dmesg-with-revert.log.

Without the revert current master boots like 4.19-rc1.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/9/7/1081
[2] https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/iommu/2018-September/date.html