RE: Affinity managed interrupts vs non-managed interrupts

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Fri Aug 31 2018 - 16:24:44 EST

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018, Kashyap Desai wrote:
> [...]

Can you please teach your mail client NOT to insert the whole useless mail
header?

> > requirement

> > > affinity

> > > is?
> > > We are trying to avoid the penalty due to one interrupt per IO
> > > completion
> > > and decided to coalesce interrupts on these extra 16 reply queues.
> > > For regular 72 reply queues, we will not coalesce interrupts as for low
> > > IO
> > > workload, interrupt coalescing may take more time due to less IO
> > > completions.
> > > In IO submission path, driver will decide which set of reply queues
> > > (either extra 16 reply queues or regular 72 reply queues) to be picked
> > > based on IO workload.
> >
> > I am just wondering how you can make the decision about using extra
> > 16 or regular 72 queues in submission path, could you share us a bit
> > your idea? How are you going to recognize the IO workload inside your
> > driver? Even the current block layer doesn't recognize IO workload, such
> > as random IO or sequential IO.
>
> It is not yet finalized, but it can be based on per sdev outstanding,
> shost_busy etc.
> We want to use special 16 reply queue for IO acceleration (these queues are
> working interrupt coalescing mode. This is a h/w feature)

TBH, this does not make any sense whatsoever. Why are you trying to have
extra interrupts for coalescing instead of doing the following:

1) Allocate 72 reply queues which get nicely spread out to every CPU on the
system with affinity spreading.

2) Have a configuration for your reply queues which allows them to be
grouped, e.g. by phsyical package.

3) Have a mechanism to mark a reply queue offline/online and handle that on
CPU hotplug. That means on unplug you have to wait for the reply queue
which is associated to the outgoing CPU to be empty and no new requests
to be queued, which has to be done for the regular per CPU reply queues
anyway.

4) On queueing the request, flag it 'coalescing' which causes the
hard/firmware to direct the reply to the first online reply queue in the
group.

If the last CPU of a group goes offline, then the normal hotplug mechanism
takes effect and the whole thing is put 'offline' as well. This works
nicely for all kind of scenarios even if you have more CPUs than queues. No
extras, no magic affinity hints, it just works.

Hmm?

> Yes. We did not used " pci_alloc_irq_vectors_affinity".
> We used " pci_enable_msix_range" and manually set affinity in driver using
> irq_set_affinity_hint.

I still regret the day when I merged that abomination.

Thanks,

tglx