Re: [GIT PULL] Char/Misc driver patches for 4.19-rc1

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Fri Aug 31 2018 - 07:19:41 EST

Hi!

> - gnss, finally an in-kernel GPS subsystem to try to tame all of
> the crazy out-of-tree drivers that have been floating around
> for years, combined with some really hacky userspace
> implementations. This is only for GNSS receivers, but you
> have to start somewhere, and this is great to see.

Yes, it is labeled as a GPS subsystem, but there's nothing GPS
specific in there; it does not understand the data, it just passes
around bytes.

Which would not be a problem, except that it takes /dev/gnssX
namespace, so when we need to introduce hardware abstraction for
GPS, we will not have suitable names available.

I believe this should be fixed before we are stuck with bad ABI
forever.

Pavel