Re: KASAN: invalid-free in p9stat_free

From: Dmitry Vyukov
Date: Mon Aug 27 2018 - 10:25:46 EST

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 10:24 PM, Dominique Martinet
<asmadeus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> syzbot wrote on Sun, Aug 26, 2018:
>> HEAD commit: e27bc174c9c6 Add linux-next specific files for 20180824
>> git tree: linux-next
>> console output: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=15dc19a6400000
>> kernel config: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=28446088176757ea
>> dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=d4252148d198410b864f
>> compiler: gcc (GCC) 8.0.1 20180413 (experimental)
>> syz repro: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.syz?x=15f8efba400000
>> C reproducer: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.c?x=1178256a400000
>>
>> IMPORTANT: if you fix the bug, please add the following tag to the commit:
>> Reported-by: syzbot+d4252148d198410b864f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> random: sshd: uninitialized urandom read (32 bytes read)
>> random: sshd: uninitialized urandom read (32 bytes read)
>> random: sshd: uninitialized urandom read (32 bytes read)
>> random: sshd: uninitialized urandom read (32 bytes read)
>> ==================================================================
>> BUG: KASAN: double-free or invalid-free in p9stat_free+0x35/0x100
>> net/9p/protocol.c:48
>
> That looks straight-forward enough, p9pdu_vreadf does p9stat_free on
> error then v9fs_dir_readdir does the same ; there is nothing else that
> could return an error without going through the first free so we could
> just remove the later one...
>
> There are a couple other users of the 'S' pdu read (that reads the stat
> struct and frees it on error), so it's probably best to keep the current
> behaviour as far as this is concerned, what we could do though is make
> the free function idempotent (write NULLs in the freed fields), but I do
> not see this being done often, do you know what the policy is about
> this kind of pattern nowadays?

Hi Dominique,

kfree and then null pointer is pretty common, try to run:

find -name "*.c" -exec grep -A 1 "kfree(" {} \; | grep -B 1 " = NULL;"

Leaving dangling pointers behind is not the best idea.
And from what I remember a bunch of similar double frees were fixed by
nulling the pointer after the first kfree.