Re: Kernel-only deployments?

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Thu Aug 23 2018 - 14:43:40 EST

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 08:16:55PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 7:44 PM Paul E. McKenney
> <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Does anyone do kernel-only deployments, for example, setting up an
> > embedded device having a Linux kernel and absolutely no userspace
> > whatsoever?
>
> Isn't that basically the original porting guide from VxWorks to Linux?

I haven't seen that document, but if you say so. The TimeSys appnote
suggests using Linux userspace, but I can easily imagine cases where
porting the VxWorks "application" into the Linux kernel.

But do you really believe that supporting Linux-kernel-only deployments
in mainline would be something worth doing? Who aside from rcutorture
would really use such a thing?

Thanx, Paul