Re: [RFC 0/4] Virtio uses DMA API for all devices

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Sat Aug 04 2018 - 04:21:32 EST

On Fri, Aug 03, 2018 at 01:58:46PM -0500, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> You are saying something along the lines of "I don't like an
> instruction in your ISA, let's not support your entire CPU architecture
> in Linux".

No. I'm saying if you can't describe your architecture in the virtio
spec document it is bogus.

> Our setup is not fucked. It makes a LOT of sense and it's a very
> sensible design. It's hitting a problem due to a corner case oddity in
> virtio bypassing the MMU, we've worked around such corner cases many
> times in the past without any problem, I fail to see what the problem
> is here.

No matter if you like it or not (I don't!) virtio is defined to bypass
dma translations, it is very clearly stated in the spec. It has some
ill-defined bits to bypass it, so if you want the dma mapping API
to be used you'll have to set that bit (in its original form, a refined
form, or an entirely newly defined sane form) and make sure your
hypersivors always sets it. It's not rocket science, just a little bit
for work to make sure your setup is actually going to work reliably
and portably.

> We aren't going to cancel years of HW and SW development for our

Maybe you should have actually read the specs you are claiming to
implemented before spending all that effort.