[Question] A novel case happened when using mempool allocate memory.

From: zhong jiang
Date: Wed Aug 01 2018 - 11:31:25 EST

Hi, Everyone

I ran across the following novel case similar to memory leak in linux-4.1 stable when allocating
memory object by kmem_cache_alloc. it rarely can be reproduced.

I create a specific mempool with 24k size based on the slab. it can not be merged with
other kmem cache. I record the allocation and free usage by atomic_add/sub. After a while,
I watch the specific slab consume most of total memory. After halting the code execution.
The counter of allocation and free is equal. Therefore, I am sure that module have released
all meory resource. but the statistic of specific slab is very high but stable by checking /proc/slabinfo.

but It is strange that the specific slab will free get back all memory when unregister the module.
I got the following information from specific slab data structure when halt the module execution.

kmem_cache_node kmem_cache

nr_partial = 1, min_partial = 7
partial = { cpu_partial = 2
next = 0xffff7c00085cae20 object_size = 24576
prev = 0xffff7c00085cae20
},

nr_slabs = {
counter = 365610
},

total_objects = {
counter = 365610
},

full = {
next = 0xffff8013e44f75f0,
prev = 0xffff8013e44f75f0
},

>From the above restricted information , we can know that the node full list is empty. and partial list only
have a slab. A slab contain a object. I think that most of slab stay in the cpu_partial
list even though it seems to be impossible theoretically. because I come to the conclusion based on the case
that slab take up the memory will be release when unregister the moudle.

but I check the code(mm/slub.c) carefully . I can not find any clue to prove my assumption.
I will be appreciate if anyone have any idea about the case.

Thanks
zhong jiang