Re: Sphinx version dependencies?

From: Markus Heiser
Date: Fri Jul 20 2018 - 12:28:17 EST

Am Freitag, den 20.07.2018, 08:04 -0700 schrieb Christoph Hellwig:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 09:30:33AM +0200, Markus Heiser wrote:
> > We have this discussion over and over again an I believe we will have it again
> > and again, as long as we do not change our POV .. building viewing formats is
> > an application not a part of the Kernel.
>
> Sorry, but this is complete and utter bullshit.

Maybe .. I'am not a Kernel developer .. I only try to help with the doc tool-
chain. But if I don't want to install anything from the web, the plain text
is not as bad.

> If that was the case we could skip all that RST stuff and just stick
> to text files. If we want fancy docs it better behave like the rest
> of the kernel and just works. python virtual environments are just
> not going to cut it as they lead to a long-term maintainance nightmare.

Really a nightmare? This is what I do on my ubuntu/debian box ... I do
prefer py3 so I installed *virtualenv-py3* once from distro's package
manager:

$ sudo apt install python3-virtualenv

To setup up a environment for building htmldocs:

$ python3 -m virtualenv py3env
$ ./py3env/bin/pip install -r ./Documentation/sphinx/requirements.txt

now I have all installed in the in the py3env folder. To build htmldocs
with:

$ SPHINXBUILD=./py3env/bin/sphinx-build make htmldocs

If the env is no longer needed:

$ rm -r py3env

-- Markus --