Re: arm: v4.18-rc5 with cpuidle on TC2 (A7 boot) spectre v2 issue

From: Russell King - ARM Linux
Date: Thu Jul 19 2018 - 06:01:24 EST

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 11:42:50AM +0200, Dietmar Eggemann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> running v4.18-rc5 (plus still missing "power: vexpress: fix corruption in
> notifier registration", otherwise I get this rcu_sched stall issue) on TC2
> (A7 boot) with vanilla multi_v7_defconfig plus
> CONFIG_ARM_BIG_LITTLE_CPUIDLE=y gives me continuous:

> CPUX: Spectre v2: incorrect context switching function, system vulnerable
>
> messages.
>
> Work around is to disable CONFIG_HARDEN_BRANCH_PREDICTOR.

or disable big.Little if you want the hardening.

The choices are currently either protection against Spectre or big.Little
support since the two are mutually exclusive at the moment.

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 13.8Mbps down 630kbps up