Re: vfs / overlayfs conflict resolution for linux-next

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Wed Jul 18 2018 - 08:10:36 EST

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 9:25 AM, Miklos Szeredi <mszeredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 5:29 AM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Al,
>>
>> On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 03:56:37 +0100 Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> ... and now it even builds. Said that, I would really like to hear something
>>> from you - I can duplicate the entire overlayfs-next and merge it into
>>> my #for-next and ask Steven to use that instead of your tree, but I very
>>> much dislike going over your head like that.
>>>
>>> I realize that you'd been away for a while and probably are digging yourself
>>> from under the piles of mail, but it's getting late in the cycle and I want
>>> to get #for-next into reasonably sane shape. Please, look through that
>>> thing and respond.

In "ovl: stack file ops" this:

AV: make it use open_with_fake_path(), don't mess with override_creds

Maybe it's the way to go, but looks broken as is; e.g. NFS does call
current_creds() from its open method to get the credentials to work
with.

Okay, so ->open() is a file op, and file ops should use file->f_cred,
but how are we going to enforce this?

Thanks,
Miklos