Re: [BUG] staging: r8822be: RTL8822be can't find any wireless AP

From: Larry Finger
Date: Wed Jul 04 2018 - 11:14:43 EST

On 07/04/2018 09:09 AM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
On Wed, Jul 04, 2018 at 08:55:00AM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
I do not think this is a bug.

It's obviously a bug. The driver should just work by default.

As a last resort, we would do something like add quirk or something. I
haven't looked at how quirks would be handled for this driver but grep
for quirk to see how other drivers do it.

We will have to agree to disagree.

I have no idea what the vendors are doing that cause some motherboards to need a different aspm value. What I do know is that we have had to live with the idiocy of some vendors saving a few pennies by only including a single antenna, rather than two, and then making a problem by miscoding the EFUSE bit that indicates which connector is actually in use. As we have no means that I know about to detect which boxes have the problem, a module parameter was created, just as in this case.

I agree that drivers should work "out of the box", but finite resources and lack of vendor cooperation make this a goal that may not be attainable.

Larry