[GIT PULL] vfs/y2038: inode timestamps conversion to timespec64

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Thu Jun 14 2018 - 10:15:56 EST

The following changes since commit 93b7f7ad2018d2037559b1d0892417864c78b371:

skip LAYOUTRETURN if layout is invalid (2018-06-12 08:48:04 -0400)

are available in the git repository at:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arnd/playground.git
tags/vfs-timespec64

for you to fetch changes up to e264abeaf9daa3cde9aed8013a6f82b0370425e5:

pstore: Remove bogus format string definition (2018-06-14 14:57:24 +0200)

vfs/y2038: inode timestamps conversion to timespec64

This is a late set of changes from Deepa Dinamani doing an automated
treewide conversion of the inode and iattr structures from 'timespec'
to 'timespec64', to push the conversion from the VFS layer into the
individual file systems.

There were no conflicts between this and the contents of linux-next
until just before the merge window, when we saw multiple problems:

- A minor conflict with my own y2038 fixes, which I could address
by adding another patch on top here.
- One semantic conflict with late changes to the NFS tree. I addressed
this by merging Deepa's original branch on top of the changes that
now got merged into mainline and making sure the merge commit includes
the necessary changes as produced by coccinelle.
- A trivial conflict against the removal of staging/lustre.
- Multiple conflicts against the VFS changes in the overlayfs tree.
These are still part of linux-next, but apparently this is no longer
intended for 4.18 [1], so I am ignoring that part.

As Deepa writes:

The series aims to switch vfs timestamps to use struct timespec64.
Currently vfs uses struct timespec, which is not y2038 safe.

The series involves the following:
1. Add vfs helper functions for supporting struct timepec64 timestamps.
2. Cast prints of vfs timestamps to avoid warnings after the switch.
3. Simplify code using vfs timestamps so that the actual
replacement becomes easy.
4. Convert vfs timestamps to use struct timespec64 using a script.
This is a flag day patch.

Next steps:
1. Convert APIs that can handle timespec64, instead of converting
timestamps at the boundaries.
2. Update internal data structures to avoid timestamp conversions.

Thomas Gleixner adds:

I think there is no point to drag that out for the next merge window.
The whole thing needs to be done in one go for the core changes which
means that you're going to play that catchup game forever. Let's get
over with it towards the end of the merge window.

[1] https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-fsdevel/msg128294.html

Note: since the conflicting overlayfs changes are still part of linux-next,
the linux-next build will fail after this gets merged, unless the overlayfs
tree gets dropped or updated to reflect the changes.

Arnd Bergmann (2):
Merge branch 'vfs_timespec64' of
https://github.com/deepa-hub/vfs into vfs-timespec64
pstore: Remove bogus format string definition

Deepa Dinamani (6):
fs: add timespec64_truncate()
lustre: Use long long type to print inode time
ceph: make inode time prints to be long long
fs: nfs: get rid of memcpys for inode times
udf: Simplify calls to udf_disk_stamp_to_time
vfs: change inode times to use struct timespec64

Kees Cook (1):
pstore: Convert internal records to timespec64

drivers/firmware/efi/efi-pstore.c | 27 ++++----
drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/llite/llite_lib.c | 12 ++--
drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/llite/namei.c | 5 +-
drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/lmv/lmv_obd.c | 7 +-
drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/mdc/mdc_reint.c | 6 +-
drivers/staging/lustre/lustre/obdclass/obdo.c | 6 +-
drivers/tty/tty_io.c | 15 ++++-
drivers/usb/gadget/function/f_fs.c | 2 +-
fs/adfs/inode.c | 7 +-
fs/afs/fsclient.c | 2 +-
fs/attr.c | 14 ++--
fs/bad_inode.c | 2 +-