Re: [Ksummit-discuss] bug-introducing patches

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Mon May 14 2018 - 03:53:59 EST

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 6:47 PM, Sasha Levin via Ksummit-discuss
<ksummit-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Since Stephen merges all -fixes branches first, before merging all the
>>> -next branches, he already generates that as part of linux-next. All
>>> he'd need to do is push that intermediate state out to some
>>> linux-fixes branch for consumption by test bots.
>>
>>What I do for my trees is that I actually merge the '-fixes' branch (that
>>is scheduled to go to Linus in the 'current' cycle) into my for-next
>>branch as well.
>>
>>This has the advantage of (a) getting all the coverage linux-next does (b)
>>seeing any potential merge conflicts early
>>
>>Is this not feasible for other trees?
>
> When Linus tags -rc1, -next will start filling up with commits destined
> for the next merge window. The resulting -next tree becomes very
> unstable, and very difficult to test.
>
> The idea behind next-fixes is to provide a tree that will contain fixes
> for the current merge window, which will generate a much more stable
> tree that users/bots could actually run and validate the fixes that will
> be merged in the upcoming weeks.
>
> Right now, with the method you've described, there is no easy way to
> test your '-fixes' branch even though the commits in there will be
> pulled in by Linus much sooner than your 'for-next' branch.
>
> You'll still get the same coverage from -next, but if you provide your
> -fixes branch seperately you'll also get more coverage for the fixes
> you're about to send to Linus.

I think you missed the "as well" in Jiri's response.

When I create the bi-weekly renesas-drivers release (see e.g.
https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-renesas-soc/msg27350.html), there are
some subsystems that manage to have several conflicts between their
for-next branch and their fixes in Linus' tree almost every single release.
Hence I strongly support merging your own fixes branches into your own
for-next branch, and resolve the conflicts yourself, to keep your for-next
branch conflict free.

(Note that the last release linked above was very atypical: it was one of
the very few (first one ever?) that didn't have any conflicts).

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds