Re: net: hang in unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free

From: Dan Streetman
Date: Fri Apr 13 2018 - 08:44:30 EST

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 8:15 AM, Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 3:53 PM, Tommi Rantala
> <tommi.t.rantala@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Can you write a systemtap script to probe dev_hold, and dev_put, printing
>>> out a
>>> backtrace if the device name matches "lo". That should tell us
>>> definitively if
>>> the problem is in the same location or not
>>

>> Hi Dmitry, I tested with the reproducer and the kernel .config file that you
>> sent in the first email in this thread:
>>
>> With 4.16-rc2 unable to reproduce.
>>
>> With 4.15-rc9 bug reproducible, and I get "unregister_netdevice: waiting for
>> lo to become free. Usage count = 3"
>>
>> With 4.15-rc9 and Alexey's "sctp: fix dst refcnt leak in sctp_v6_get_dst()"
>> cherry-picked on top, unable to reproduce.
>>

>> Is syzkaller doing something else now to trigger the bug...?
>> Can you still trigger the bug with the same reproducer?
>
> Hi Neil, Tommi,
>
> Reviving this old thread about "unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo
> to become free. Usage count = 3" hangs.
> I still did not have time to deep dive into what happens there (too
> many bugs coming from syzbot). But this still actively happens and I
> suspect accounts to a significant portion of various hang reports,
> which are quite unpleasant.
>
> One idea that could make it all simpler:
>
> Is this wait loop in netdev_wait_allrefs() supposed to wait for any
> prolonged periods of time under any non-buggy conditions? E.g. more
> than 1-2 minutes?
> If it only supposed to wait briefly for things that already supposed
> to be shutting down, and we add a WARNING there after some timeout,
> then syzbot will report all info how/when it happens, hopefully
> extracting reproducers, and all the nice things.
> But this WARNING should not have any false positives under any
> realistic conditions (e.g. waiting for arrival of remote packets with
> large timeouts).
>
> Looking at some task hung reports, it seems that this code holds some
> mutexes, takes workqueue thread and prevents any progress with
> destruction of other devices (and net namespace creation/destruction),
> so I guess it should not wait for any indefinite periods of time?

I'm working on this currently:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/zesty/+source/linux/+bug/1711407

I added a summary of what I've found to be the cause (or at least, one
possible cause) of this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1711407/comments/72

I'm working on a patch to work around the main side-effect of this,
which is hanging while holding the global net mutex. Hangs will still
happen (e.g. if a dst leaks) but should not affect anything else,
other than a leak of the dst and its net namespace.

Fixing the dst leaks is important too, of course, but a dst leak (or
other cause) shouldn't break the entire system.