Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 3rd - Reducing the compressed framebuffer size

From: Pali RohÃr
Date: Mon Feb 19 2018 - 04:37:00 EST

On Tuesday 13 February 2018 19:45:56 Ville SyrjÃlà wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 06:43:41PM +0100, Pali RohÃr wrote:
> > >
> > > Never.
> >
> > Never? Now I'm lost. Why then dmesg message instruct user to try set up
> > it in BIOS if you say it is never possible?
>
> You can change it in the BIOS. No way to change it from the operating system.

Hi! Can you explain it a bit more?

What does it mean "in BIOS"? Prior switching from 16bit real mode to
protected or long? Or before exiting EFI boot services? Or before
booting kernel (when initialize memory mapping)?

I still do not see reason nor understand why this cannot be possible
either in bootloader (e.g. grub2) or prior to loading bootloader which
runs in protected or long mode.

It is because BIOS uses some undocumented call/procedure which sets that
amount of memory and it is unknown how to do it?

--
Pali RohÃr
pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx