Re: Linux 4.15-rc7

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Wed Jan 10 2018 - 18:32:59 EST

Hi!

> The one thing I want to do now that Meltdown and Spectre are public,
> is to give a *big* shout-out to the x86 people, and Thomas Gleixner in
> particular for really being on top of this. It's been one huge
> annoyance, and honestly, Thomas really went over and beyond in this
> whole mess. A lot of other people have obviously been involved too,

As I understand it: KPTI prevents Meltdown attack on x86-64, but
Spectre means even x86-64 is not expected to be safe?

Ok, so Meltdown is public... And I still have some nice 32-bit
machines I'd like to keep working.

Proof of concept is out, https://github.com/IAIK/meltdown/ .

Is anyone working on KPTI for x86-32? SLES11 should still be
supported, and that should have x86-32 version; any chance SUSE can
share some patches?

Thanks,
Pavel