Re: [patches] [RFC] RISC-V: Don't set CLONE_BACKWARDS

From: Palmer Dabbelt
Date: Tue Jan 09 2018 - 03:21:07 EST

On Tue, 09 Jan 2018 00:11:45 PST (-0800), hch@xxxxxx wrote:
On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 05:27:56PM -0800, Palmer Dabbelt wrote:
During the glibc upstreaming it was suggested that CLONE_BACKWARDS was a
deprecated ABI decision. I think we just copied it from ARM, but I
don't see any reason to favor one over the other.

While we haven't released yet so I think it's still legal to change our
ABI, I'd actually kind of prefer to avoid changing our ABI this late in
the game. I guess this is more of an RFC than a patch: is there a
reason to avoid CLONE_BACKWARDS?

Note that I haven't tried any of this -- I'll give it some thourough
testing and submit an actual patch if this is the way we want to go.

I see absolutely no reason to change this. Linux currently has 30
architecture port, out of which 10 (including riscv, i386, arm and arm64)
set CLONE_BACKWARDS.

There are no performance benefits of doing it one way or another, and
changing it now will break all the riscv enablement that's been going
on.

OK, works for me! Unless anyone has a strong argument against CLONE_BACKWARDS we're just going to leave it alone.