Re: Avoid speculative indirect calls in kernel

From: Alan Cox
Date: Fri Jan 05 2018 - 07:07:17 EST

> But, are the GCC patches being discussed also expected to fix the
> vulnerability because user binaries will be compiled using them? In

If you have a system with just a few user binaries where you are
concerned about such a thing you might go that way.

> such case, a binary could be maliciously changed back, or a custom GCC
> made with the patches reverted.

If I can change your gcc or your binary then instead of removing the
speculation protection I can make it encrypt all your files instead. Much
simpler.

At the point I can do this you already lost.

Alan