Re: checkpatch: Add test for keywords not starting on tabstops

From: Sven Eckelmann
Date: Fri Jan 05 2018 - 03:38:00 EST

On Donnerstag, 21. April 2016 12:41:37 CET Joe Perches wrote:
> It's somewhat common and in general a defect for c90 keywords to
> not start on a tabstop.
>
> Add a test for this condition and warn when it occurs.

This seems to create some new false positives:

WARNING: Statements should start on a tabstop
#919: FILE: ./net/batman-adv/sysfs.c:919:
+ char ifname[IFNAMSIZ])

total: 0 errors, 1 warnings, 0 checks, 1251 lines checked

The code at this position is:

/**
* batadv_store_mesh_iface_finish() - store new hardif mesh_iface state
* @net_dev: netdevice to add/remove to/from batman-adv soft-interface
* @ifname: name of soft-interface to modify
*
* Changes the parts of the hard+soft interface which can not be modified under
* sysfs lock (to prevent deadlock situations).
*
* Return: 0 on success, 0 < on failure
*/
static int batadv_store_mesh_iface_finish(struct net_device *net_dev,
char ifname[IFNAMSIZ])
{
struct net *net = dev_net(net_dev);

I know, my mail client is most likely mangling the tabs - so better check
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/tree/net/batman-adv/sysfs.c?id=72deacce011bde7475c90e6ee7d4c7d28c384873#n918

Problem seems to be the [IFNAMSIZ]

Kind regards,
Sven