Re: [char-misc-next] mei: me: allow runtime pm for platform with D0i3

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Thu Jan 04 2018 - 10:47:29 EST

On 1/4/2018 9:27 AM, Winkler, Tomas wrote:
mei: me: allow runtime pm for platform with
D0i3

On 1/2/2018 11:01 AM, Tomas Winkler wrote:
From the pci power documentation:
"The driver itself should not call pm_runtime_allow(), though.
Instead, it should let user space or some platform-specific code do
that (user space can do it via sysfs as stated above)..."

However, the S0ix residency cannot be reached without MEI device
getting into low power state. Hence, for mei devices that support
D0i3, it's better to make runtime power management mandatory and not
rely on the system integration such as udev rules.
It still is not mandatory with this change. The default changes from "on" to
"auto", but still user space can change it back to "on".
That's correct, maybe better statement would be 'default setting' instead of 'mandatory'.
I can respin the patch if needed, let me know.

Greg has applied it already it seems, so I guess that shouldn't be necessary. :-)

Thanks,
Rafael