RE: [Regression 4.15-rc2] New messages `tpm tpm0: A TPM error (2314) occurred continue selftest`

From: Mario.Limonciello
Date: Fri Dec 15 2017 - 10:24:54 EST

File->Options->Mail->Replies and Forwards
Change "When Replying to a message"
to "Prefix each line of the original message"

That should help.

> > <snip>

> >> Mario, thank you for your quick reaction.
> >>
> >> [â]
> >>
> >> 1. Can you reproduce this issue too?
> >
> > I haven't seen this, but if this is a regression I also have not run anything
> > later than 4.15-rc1 right now.
>
> Well as far as I understood it, itâs not a regression, and there is now
> just better error reporting. Did you ever get the TPM to work?

I don't personally use a TPM with Linux on the XPS 9360, but TPM was
tested by our partners when the XPS 9360 was enabled for Ubuntu.

> >> 2. How do I find out, what TPM firmware version is installed?
> >
> > fwupd will tell you. Documentation (and code) here:
> > https://github.com/hughsie/fwupd/tree/master/plugins/dell
>
> Unfortuntately itâs not listed with fwupd 0.7.0-0ubuntu4.3 in Ubuntu
> 16.04.3 LTS installed by Dell.

If you're unwilling to upgrade to a newer userspace, you can write
a simple application that can use the new dell-smbios from 4.15 interface to look this up.

Most of the work is already done (see
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/tools/wmi/dell-smbios-example.c#L179)

You'll just need to add some parsing around the output (see fwupd code) to
tell the version. If you do this, please feel free to submit it platform-x86, it may be useful
for someone else in this sample application too.

Given you don't have a newer fwupd on your system you won't be able to "easily" flash
the newer TPM firmware.