Re: Multiple oom_reaper BUGs: unmap_page_range racing with exit_mmap

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Wed Dec 06 2017 - 03:50:33 EST

On Wed 06-12-17 12:28:53, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> David Rientjes wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Dec 2017, David Rientjes wrote:
> >
> > > One way to solve the issue is to have two mm flags: one to indicate the mm
> > > is entering unmap_vmas(): set the flag, do down_write(&mm->mmap_sem);
> > > up_write(&mm->mmap_sem), then unmap_vmas(). The oom reaper needs this
> > > flag clear, not MMF_OOM_SKIP, while holding down_read(&mm->mmap_sem) to be
> > > allowed to call unmap_page_range(). The oom killer will still defer
> > > selecting this victim for MMF_OOM_SKIP after unmap_vmas() returns.
> > >
> > > The result of that change would be that we do not oom reap from any mm
> > > entering unmap_vmas(): we let unmap_vmas() do the work itself and avoid
> > > racing with it.
> > >

> > I think we need something like the following?
>
> This patch does not work. __oom_reap_task_mm() can find MMF_REAPING and
> return true and sets MMF_OOM_SKIP before exit_mmap() calls down_write().
>
> Also, I don't know what exit_mmap() is doing but I think that there is a
> possibility that the OOM reaper tries to reclaim mlocked pages as soon as
> exit_mmap() cleared VM_LOCKED flag by calling munlock_vma_pages_all().
>
> if (mm->locked_vm) {
> vma = mm->mmap;
> while (vma) {
> if (vma->vm_flags & VM_LOCKED)
> munlock_vma_pages_all(vma);
> vma = vma->vm_next;
> }
> }

I do not really see, why this would matter. munlock_vma_pages_all is
mostly about accounting and clearing the per-page state. It relies on
follow_page which crawls page tables and unmap_page_range clears ptes
under the lock which is taken when resolving a locked page as well.

I still have to think about all the consequences when we are effectively
reaping VM_LOCKED vmas - I suspect we can do some misaccounting but I
yet do not see how this could lead to crashes. Maybe we can move
VM_LOCKED clearing _after_ the munlock bussiness is done but this is
really hard to tell before I re-read the mlock code more throughly.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs